12/30/2005

Come Into the Light

I keep coming back to this song, the one playing in the background. Last night while riding the train home I had this song playing while I thought about what I wanted to post today. I wanted to post something meaningful, something you'd remember when you left this place of mine. This song, "Into the Light," by Alice Peacock really sums up what I want to tell you all. So listen to it. Stop what you are doing, close your eyes, and listen to the words. If you like it you can download it or some of my other songs I've had on this blog by clicking here.

This year has passed so quickly, at least for some of us. Some of us have endured pain, some joy, but no matter what has brought you here, this is where we are - together. We've shared the scars that sometimes have kept us from moving forward and struggled against letting them define us. We've watched natural disasters unmask a world we know existed but rarely took the time to examine. Some of us cried, some of us looked away, whichever you did - you still felt something whether you wanted to or not. Sometimes we've been allowed to step inside the shoes of someone else, to look into their windows, peek under the covers, see - what they see. Even though those moments fade quickly, sometimes they leave a trace of their existence behind and we remember them, for whatever they are worth. We've met your children, your loved ones, your parents, your pets, your people. We've laughed and cried and cursed and blushed - at all the parts we've so graciously been given access to. Some of us have revealed more than others, whether it be the skin that covers the outside or the scars that decorate the inside, we've shared - something. In a couple of days you will be given a chance to start a new year, a new beginning, a new attitude, a new outlook. Some of us will use our new beginning to put an end to something else. An end to heartache, an end to loneliness, an end to the misery we sometimes think we deserve. Some of us will learn to forgive ourselves for the very first time, while some of us learn new forms of punishment. Some of us will move forward, some back, some will stay still for fear of failing no matter what direction they choose to go. Whichever path you choose, do it with full conscience. Know yourself, even if you are scared of not liking what you find. We are so rarely given second chances in this lifetime, or maybe we're given them but choose not to use them out of fear or stupidity. Don't be scared this time, you've got shoulders to lean on....come into the light and you just might be surprised at what you find.

Have a wonderful New Year.

13 Comments:

  1. WDKY said...
    Great post, and so true... whatever we do, we have a responsibility to do it with awareness. I think people forget the law of cuase and effect sometimes (even me), but none of us exist in a vaccuum.

    Thanks for sharing so much of yourself on here x
    k o w said...
    Yet again you have moved me. Happy New Years.
    Caterpillar said...
    Perfect post for the end of the year, NWC! And I know that discovering this little online community has helped me so much in so many ways, it can be such a positive thing!

    I hope you have a wonderful New Year, and here's to us all moving forward, consciously, next year!!

    xx Cat
    Shannon said...
    I love your posts... I love your writting, you have inspired me to write things from my past to share... some I am proud some because of a lesson in and maybe if someone reads it they will see the lesson and not make the same mistakes,

    I love this post, a farewell to 2005? I hope you post tomorrow if not HAPPY NEW YEARS and thanks for your sharing.. your wisdom and words
    WoodChuck said...
    I love the two themes of honesty and community. I think there's a saying, "faithful are the wounds of a friend."
    Wenchy said...
    "You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live ... now." ~ Joan Baez

    Wishing you all good things for 2006!
    PG said...
    You're a punk and you made me cry.

    Happy New Year, my friend.
    Blondie... said...
    A beautiful song and beautiful words. Thank you so much for the moving post NWC and thank you for all the lovely comments.

    Here's to a year that is better than any before and many more to follow.

    *cheers*
    kimmyk said...
    You made me cry.

    NWC-You truely were a blessing to find this past year. I'm in your corner....

    I wish you and your family health, love, prosperity, and great things in 2006.

    ~KimmyK
    x
    Shannon said...
    HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!!2006!
    JJ said...
    Happy 2006 Chic.
    I see you,
    JJ
    Me! said...
    Your post was very touching in many ways. Happy New Year chick and thanks so much for sharing a part of yourself here. :-)
    Anonymous said...
    Great Song and post. Are you familiar with Patty Griffin's Song It don't come easy.

    This is definately a spirtual song and a post that is based upon credibility of emotions and experience. Any time we put it down, we do not have to pick it up again. That is hard to do.

Post a Comment