12/28/2005

Resolutions

Every year about this time I sit down with pen in hand and try to think up some New Year's resolutions. As much as I like to think I'm creative, almost every year my resolutions seem to mock each other....save more money, eat healthier, spend more time with loved ones, work on advancing my career, do something just for fun. Every year I make these resolutions and every year I fail to fulfill them. In my thirty some years of living I can remember exactly one time that I actually accomplished any of my new year's goals. What's wrong with me? Probably nothing, I'm just like the rest of the population. We set goals for ourselves, call them resolutions, and rarely do we ever fulfill them. Most times we don't spend more than a couple of weeks even thinking about them. We celebrate on New Year's eve and before the clock strikes midnight we all get ready to vow to change our lives or our behaviors the next year coming. Maybe where the problem lies is that we only set these sort of goals once a year. What kind of ambition is that to only take a looksey at yourself once a year, set some resolutions, then check-in on your progress when the calendar and the clock are about to throw us into a new year? I think a much better idea would be to make some resolutions on a monthly basis. At the start of each month sit down with yourself and say, "these are the things I'd like to accomplish this month." Don't you think those goals would be more obtainable? It would also force us to look at ourselves a bit more often than once a year. I know the hype and tradition tell us that we have to set New Year's resolutions but honestly, how many of you actually keep those resolutions? We most times get well into our adulthood before we realize it's all a load of crap. New Year's day isn't about what promises you are going to make to yourself for the next year, it's about taking a gander at the year's past and being able to not only realize, but admit, the things you could have done differently that would change the outcome of the next year to come. History will only repeat itself if it's never contemplated. Before you take that pen in your hand this year, before you pull yourself up a chair in front of that computer screen - ready to scrawl some heart felt resolutions, remember what brought you to this place you are now. Study each decision that paved the path you followed to get you to this reality. Contemplate your history. When you've remembered enough, make some resolutions, some promises - to yourself and when the clock strikes midnight on Dec. 31, make a pact with yourself that next year you'll contemplate your history at least 12 times. Inch by inch life is a cinch, mile by mile - life takes a while. Baby steps dear friends, baby steps.

14 Comments:

  1. Zoozan said...
    I won't make a resolution unless I'm determined to keep it. I believe that when we break a promise to ourselves we cause harm
    Networkchic said...
    I agree with you...maybe that's why we all have so many scars.
    Blondie... said...
    Zooz, how true. NWC, Hmmm, that would truly explain the scars I have. I honestly hate the idea of resolutions. I don't know that I'll make any for this upcoming year. *sigh*

    ((hugs))
    k o w said...
    I've tried in the past to keep them but I never do. This year I'm making goofy resolutions like "This year I won't ride an elephant bareback in Peru." That one I can keep.
    WDKY said...
    I don't do New Year's resolutions. I have a kind of constant objective of somehow overcoming the flaws of the person I am, so that I can get closer to the person I want to be.

    I don't think it's working particularly well.
    JJ said...
    Baby steps is right my friend. Remember we can start our day over at any time so why not start our year over. To me it's just a number....I don't do resolutions. I do do something pretty funky on New Years eve that I'll blog about soon enough.
    I see you,
    JJ
    WoodChuck said...
    NWC, you and I are both in the tech fields. Whenever I teach or show people how to do things better, more efficient, faster etc..., it only lasts so long. When the pressure comes they go back to the familiar.

    We revert to the familiar after the glitz of New Years has faded. The friction of our resolutions rubs our routine and we go back to what "works".

    There's lot's of milestones that give pause to resolutions. Birthday's, Sat. or Sun or whatever day of rest we get, the start of a new month, week or even day. The problem is the pause. To stop and reflect. To wait in the moment. We're a culture of now.
    Wenchy said...
    I do the same thing. I think reflection is a good thing.
    PG said...
    Well said, my friend, well said.
    And I will try this.

    Thank you for your comments on my blog. I appreciate them. =)
    Robin said...
    This is absolutely the cleverist thing I've read all year. I'm only making TWO resolutions this time:
    1. Read your blog regularly for more clever ideas
    2. Make 12 little resolutions and spread them out over the course of 2006.

    Brilliant.
    Caterpillar said...
    Oh perfect post, NWC!! It's so good to be reminded to look at the past and learn from it - which I don't think we do enough. I do completely agree with the monthly checkup on how we're doing etc. - it helps in constantly growing and improving!

    And while looking back at the past year, you can know that you've affected so many people, me definitely included!
    kimmyk said...
    I really like the idea of doing it monthly. I've never thought of that...

    GOOD idea NWC! That's what I'm going to do...each month-set goals...and cross 'em off as I go.

    I feel alot better about this....thanks!
    Networkchic said...
    Chuck you are so right...that pause is what kills us because most of us are in too much of a hurry to reflect on much of anything.
    NewYorkMoments said...
    This year my resolution is to not make any resolutions.

Post a Comment