12/22/2005

No HNT today - we need a miracle

Today instead of posting HNT pics we were supposed to pick 3 bloggers and tell about what we'd get them for Christmas. I was ready, I had a mental list in my head of who I was going to pick and what perfect present I'd get them but as I stood in line this morning waiting to pay for my coffee and oatmeal, I saw this. It's the story of abandoned twin babies left in a church. Damnit. I was actually in a good mood today but as I stood there sneaking a look at the article my heart began to ache. I suppose we should give the mother some credit, she did leave the babies in a semi-warm place where they were sure to be found instead of the freezing back yard that the baby a few weeks ago was dumped in. Generous right? Being a mother, I cannot fathom even entertaining the thought of abandoning my child. Yes things happen, children are born into this world unplanned, into families that cannot afford them, but come on people are we really that damn selfish? I'm not even sure selfish is the right word. Being selfish is more like eating the last doughnut or taking the last cup of coffee when you know other people might want it. Leaving a helpless child in a backyard, a trash can, a church - is not selfish it's evil. I don't know what else to call it. We live in a world where there are choices. Choices to use birth control, choices to give a child up for adoption, choices to ask for help. There are even choices to leave your child at a fire station or a hospital with no questions asked, but apparently the effort it took to find one of these establishments was too hard of a choice, too much to give up. We are always taught that there are consequences for our actions but I'm starting to think that maybe those consequences are not tough enough. The mother who left those children, if found, will most likely get a second chance to reclaim her children. Why? The chance she had when they came into this world wasn't enough of a chance? I think when you treat your babies like old shoes that don't fit your feet anymore so you discard them, you lose all hope of getting another chance. If they don't fit today, they won't fit tomorrow.

I'm angry, can you tell? I wish that every day was filled with happy thoughts, especially around the holidays. I wish I never had to pick up a paper or turn on the TV and hear stories of children being thrown away like trash. But that's not possible is it? I've decided that I don't want anything for myself this Christmas. That list I wrote to Santa yesterday, well I need to change it. Santa, if you are listening I'd like to change my wish list. If you can Santa, will you please teach people that a human life is the most precious gift in the world. I know most of us know this already, but somehow there are still those that didn't learn that lesson, maybe they were absent that day, maybe they just can't read. The next time a child is born into this world and no one wants them, can you just take them to someone who does? There are so many people in this world with so much love to give, can't you just send a little cosmic vibe connecting them to every child that needs someone to be their savior? I know it's a lot to ask Santa, but right now, this world really needs a miracle.

8 Comments:

  1. WoodChuck said...
    NWC, I also think of the scars of "unseen" abandonment. We seem to feel less pitty or sorry for those who grow up with absentee fathers who even when they're there they starve their sons and daughters of their strenghth. The self-absorbed mothers who withold their affections. Maybe it seems less painful because the wounds are dressed with the x-box's, iPods, Disney, and all the other glitter money can buy.

    Parents make daily choices whether to give life, ration it, strain it or completely withhold it. The saddest of all are those who have the most to give and don't.

    Thanks for sharing your "nekkid" soul today. Your heart is good.
    WDKY said...
    I know just what you're feeling, NWC... but at the same time I can't help but understand the pain that this unknown mother must have gone through. There are always choices, but sometimes our own circumstances blind us to them. I know you enough to know, also, that you'll have some compassion left for that mother, once the anger has subsided a little.
    ladylongfellow said...
    When I see stories like this, I try to look at the positive in them. As a Mother, myself, I can not understand what deep, dark place this Mother must have been in. But I suspect it had to be something AWFUL for her to leave them -at least in her mind. The positive side is she left them someplace safe and hopefully they will have a better life because of it.
    Wenchy said...
    Just wanted to wish you a very HAPPY, HAPPY Christmas. :)
    NML/Natalie said...
    I can't imagine doing something like that. I hshiver at the thought. I guess it's an out of control desperation and somewhere in their mind they think that they are helping the kid in the long run. It's shocking.
    Have a lovely Christmas xx
    JJ said...
    I just wanted to stop by and wish you and yours a Merry Christmas from me and mine.
    Enjoy.
    I see you,
    JJ
    TJ said...
    The world needs alot of miracles...

    Just wanted to stop by as well and wish you a Merry Christmas.

    TJ
    Shannon said...
    Good Morning NWC! I hope that Santa was good to you! :)Merry Christmas

Post a Comment