10/21/2005

I want my Mom

I finally made it off my couch. Thanks for all the well wishes yesterday. It's nice to come back to work when it's Friday, it sort of gives you a bit of motivation to make it through the day. Yesterday while at home on my couch, I had so much time to think - not really a good thing. I actually was thinking about how every time I get sick, I want my mom to be around. It's sort of weird but comforting in a way too. I remember when I was a kid and I had the flu or something, my mom would make me chicken soup with stars, give me saltines crackers and let me drink 7up - as much as I wanted. She'd get me all comfy on the couch and let me watch endless hours of cartoons or videos. Every hour or so she'd come in, kiss my forehead to see if I had a fever, then disappear to do mom stuff. I remember her holding my hair back as I bent over the porcelain god, all the while telling me everything would be ok. It's strange, I've had a guy or two do the same for me over the years, none had the same effect. My mom could make me feel better just by being near me. I guess that's what makes mom's so great, they have hidden powers of healing. Yesterday I wanted my mom but she's off cruising the Pacific on some ship - not fair, she's supposed to be here when I need her. Since I couldn't talk to her, I called her voicemail and surprisingly enough I felt a little bit better just hearing her voice. I wonder why that is. It still amazes me that in my thirty some years of living the only person on this planet that can make me feel the tiniest bit better when I'm sick, is my mom. I wonder if I'll have the same effect on my daughter. I wonder why my significant other can't make me feel this way. I know he loves me, he tries to pamper me when I'm sick but it just doesn't feel the same. Why?

I had a dream last night that about when I was 8 years old and I had the chicken pox. My mom brought me home a 'baby feels so real'. She was awesome, she ate baby food and peed and pooped in her diapers. My mom took off work to stay home with me and every day for a week we played house and pretended to be princesses. She cooked me tomato soup and grilled cheese and she hugged me - she wasn't afraid of catching the 'pox'. God I loved her; I felt safe. Why can't I have that back - even when I'm not sick. I hate being a grown up.

12 Comments:

  1. NewYorkMoments said...
    When you're a kid, all you want is to be a grown up. Now that I'm a grown up, all I want is to be a college kid.
    WDKY said...
    That's exactly how I am with my children, NWC. Do you think Dads can have those powers too?
    Networkchic said...
    I do think dads can have that power too. My dad was always off teaching class so he couldn't stay home with us so the bond with my mom was stronger but I think if a dad takes the time to be there for his kids, sick or not, they too can develop that special healing power. I do know that even now my dad is the only one that can make me feel better when I really screw up.
    Anonymous said...
    what i say may sound a bit corny but i think they have this effect because one half of the very first cell that you're body grew from was part of their body..half from ur mom and half from dad..thats why theres that healing effect..and because of which theres unconditional love..
    Sky said...
    My father had that power...he was my world. Apparently, tomato soup and grilled cheeses were staples as kids for us 30 somethings....lol. Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better.
    kimmyk said...
    i dont remember my mom ever being like that when i was a kid. or my dad. i just remember mom smearing vicks all over my chest....christ i hate that shit.
    Blueprincesa said...
    I still always want my mom when I'm sick or heartbroken about something. Mothers are just special that way.
    Networkchic said...
    I wonder if dads feel left out when moms are the ones kids run to when they are sick.
    WDKY said...
    Yes! I'm lucky, though, because the bond I have with mine is incredible.
    Blondie... said...
    A mothers touch never changes. I've actually called and begged my mom to come take care of me before. She caved a few times because that meant she got to spend time with the little guy. My favorite "mom making me better" moment was when I was in high school and had a really bad case of pnuemonia...she made poached eggs and toast...omg, even now the mere though of how it made me feel good... It wasn't even something I'd ever eat before either. Just one of those things...you know?

    I have to say, Dad makes me feel good but I'd barf if he tried to make comfort food. It would prolly be something like ramen noodles and hot dogs...hahaha Like weenies mixed with the noodles. He is very non-cooking.

    Very good blog. I will definitely be back. And *blushing*... don't "your majesty me"... lol Thats reserved for Miladysa because I am sooo far from that...haha ;-) Thanks for stopping by.
    TJ said...
    chicken soup with stars and all the 7 Up you could drink--it sounds like our moms got the same medical training.

    My mom would do the same thing about stopping in every hour just to give a kiss on the forehead. That felt better than any Bayer aspirin.

    You're lucky that your mother's present journey is round-trip. I lost my mom seven years ago, and now she's the one waiting for me to come home.
    Networkchic said...
    Oh sorry to hear that TJ. Well I'm sure she's looking down from above...and planting a kiss right on that forehead of yours. You are right, that feels better than any other drug could.

Post a Comment