10/14/2005

Friday

I come to this place each day; a box labeled from the outside with my name. One foot in front of the other, I make strides towards a temporary end, the last day in a five day excursion. I've stopped wondering who booked this trip, it seems I've wasted too much time looking at brochures that paint pretty pictures of places that don't really exist. Sometimes I wonder if the price I paid was too high; I should have shopped around instead of relying on a travel agent. But the ship has left it's port and we're setting sail, I can't help but look towards the shore; it's a long way to swim. Can I hold my breath long enough to make it back? Will someone throw me a life preserver when they see me drowning? Sometimes these trips go by quickly, sometimes it seems they will never end. There's not much to explore, this ship is large but I'm faceless to the crew - it's not their job to entertain me. I bide my time, speaking when spoken to, offering useless knowledge to other lost passengers all the while waiting for our return to port. I've tried to make my box comfortable for my stay. I've strewn pictures around the walls to remind me that a life exists outside of this one. Often I put on my headphones to drown out the sound of waves crashing against the hull, that sound can drive you mad if you let it. I should have taken a pill to stop me from getting sea sick, the motion - back and forth - back and forth, it can knock you off balance. And so I wait, for five days to pass - all the while anticipating the last day from the very first one. When it happens I'll be ready to run ashore without looking back - because I know my return is inevitable; I have a round trip ticket. "Watch your step as you exit," the captain announces over the loud speaker. "Those steps can be hazardous."

14 Comments:

  1. WDKY said...
    Hmmmm. I thought I was drowning too, but I decided to swim for it instead. Don't believe anyone who tells you that your ticket can't be changed - look at them with those eyes of yours and say "just wait and see".
    Networkchic said...
    And someone is standing on shore cheering you on....we know you can make it.
    WDKY said...
    Thank you x
    Violet said...
    Cool post!
    NewYorkMoments said...
    No wonder I feel seasick from Monday through Friday. Sometimes I get it Sunday evening in anticipation of the big waves.
    Networkchic said...
    leaving...your ship is setting sail early today...no fair.
    TJ said...
    enjoy your shore leave this weekend. and you never know what might lie ahead just over the horizon...
    k o w said...
    Is there alcohol on this boat?
    Networkchic said...
    Only at the port...unfortunately.
    TJ said...
    I can relate to your 'working on a ship to nowhere' metaphor at my job too. And the worst part is that even though I work in a law firm in the center of Philadelphia, they actually make us wear life preservers all day around the office. It's some kind of O.S.H.A. thing or something...

    Have a great weekend :)
    Blueprincesa said...
    This one was lovely. Sad. Makes me think.
    ... j said...
    all this saltry sea water has give me scurvy... im going onshore at 5:30 and I plan to get quite wet this weekend.

    PS the weather in NY sucks, its been raining non stop for the past week.
    Anonymous said...
    strong winds and rough waves a mighty sailor make..
    Kate B. said...
    I've been on many journeys but have yet to find a destination where I'd like to set anchor.

    Good post, networkchic

Post a Comment