9/16/2005

The homeless stay connected

There is this paper called 'Streetwise' that the homeless people in Chicago sell, usually from street corners or in front of businesses. In the Loop you can pretty much guarantee that you'll encounter one of these vendors just about everywhere you go. I tend to give a buck or two every day or so. Usually there's a guy dressed in his best polyester suit outside the Walgreens near my office. I think it's cool that he tries to dress up, he's nice, he opens the door for you, he says 'God Bless' even if you don't buy a paper. Yesterday I came out of Walgreens and saw he wasn't there, instead he'd been replaced by a woman sitting on a milk crate right outside the door. She was holding up the papers....not yelling 'Streetwise' like they usually do....because she was too busy....TALKING ON HER CELL PHONE. I guess wonders never cease to amaze me. Even the homeless need to stay connected.

5 Comments:

  1. Caroline said...
    Oh, I'm sure it's prepaid.
    Marymuses and The Duchess said...
    Um, wow.
    WDKY said...
    We have something similar over here... The Big Issue.

    Apparently some of the vendors have become quite wealthy, in relative terms... good luck to them!
    k o w said...
    Yeah let's not spend our money on a roof or soap or clothes for an interview. I'm going to take the $20 and use it to call reality.
    finally forgiving said...
    Well -- what did you expect her to do? Save up her few dollars for a new rug or CD rack for her "home?"

    Though, I can think of a million other things I'd buy....some things just never cease to amaze me.

Post a Comment