6/26/2006

old married lady

Well, I'm married. It was a small ceremony at the courthouse but actually it was rather nice. My mom drove up for the occasion and new in-laws came too. Most importantly my daughter was there standing between us as we became man and wife. The judge told us that she loved to see parents get married but most of all she loved seeing parents getting married after a child was at least a couple of years old because she knew they were doing it for the right reasons, not the moral ones. I remember when I found out I was pregnant with Alice and it never crossed my mind that I should be married first. Sure it's nice to do things in the right order but does it make it less special - no way. On Saturday I married the man I love because I can't imagine my life without him in it. I can't imagine going to sleep at night or waking up in the morning without knowing he's there...somewhere in our house. I can't imagine my daughter not being able to kiss her daddy every night before sleepy time or in the morning when she opens her eyes. I can't imagine not loving him...and somehow now that there is a solid commitment, I don't have to. I know that marriage doesn't mean guarantees...I'm not naive, but it does mean that two people have agreed to give it their damndest to make it work.

My mom told me that she hasn't seen me smile so brightly in a long long time...and I have to agree. A feeling of peace has settled over me and although I know there are still many trials and tribulations to come because life never has a shortage of them, I'm not scared to face them any more. I've spent so much of my life searching for that place I belong next to that person who belongs there with me that I'm really looking forward to folding up my map, placing my compass on the mantle, and enjoying the scenery. I'm not lost anymore.

11 Comments:

  1. Sunshine said...
    That's the most beautiful thing I had heard all day!!! Congratulations! I'm glad you are SO happy!!!
    kimmyk said...
    Everytime I come here I am moved to tears.

    Someone pass me the tissues please. *sniff*

    I'm so glad you feel you've found your home so ta speak.
    I hope that your life is filled with more happiness then you can stand. You deserve it!

    Congratulations! Just don't let him call you his "ole' lady" that drives me crazy.
    JJ said...
    I honestly envy people who have that feeling about their husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, etc...
    I want that feeling again someday.
    I see you,
    JJ
    PS: And congratulations!
    Tony said...
    May the happiness that fills up your heart trickle into the boots of others...congratulations...I know this guy is a very very lucky man and I have no doubt that he knows that too.
    A
    Southern Sweetheart said...
    Congratulations lady.
    I've only recently become a "regular" here but I have to tell you that the several times I've visited thus far have truly made a difference to me. Your words are so moving and thoughtprovoking, so encouraging, uplifting, and to visit with you here is a joy. thank you for sharing yourself and sharing your life with us. I wish you many happy years with your new family! :)
    PG said...
    Congratulations, lovely lady, on finally folding up that map.
    For many of us, it may take a lifetime to do so.
    Or, maybe, you will reopen it with two sets of eyes peering over it instead, ready to explore anew.
    Who knows, right? Right.
    I'm so happy it was a special day...
    May there be many more of us that finds that special someone too...
    Anonymous said...
    I'm so happy for you, NWC. My heart is all warm after reading this. And I'm so happy for your new husband and for Alice, too!
    WDKY said...
    Darling, I'm really happy for you. I can't really add to what everyone else has said.

    Where are the tissues...
    Anonymous said...
    ((That was beautiful..big hugs))
    I am so happy for you and your little family :)Thanks for sharing ~
    Rex said...
    So happy for you. You both deserve the very best. Best wishes.
    NML/Natalie said...
    beautiful! congratulations and thanks for sharing this wonderful occasion with us.

Post a Comment