6/06/2006

A Big Girl Bed

My baby is growing up. Last night my sig. other and I spent an hour putting together Alice's new castle 'big girl bed'. I've been putting this off for awhile mainly because I didn't want to admit that my sweet baby girl has grown into a sweet little girl. There's something about your first born growing up enough to leave her baby crib that makes your heart ache. As we took apart her crib the tears sprang from my eyes, it wasn't so long ago that she seemed like a tiny spec of life in that gigantic bed. I remember laying her in the crib, wrapped up like a cocoon, thinking, she's too small - she'll get lost in there. But now she's grown out of her cocoon and it's time to spread her wings. A small part of me can't help but wish that I could keep her small enough to hold in my arms forever and keep her safe from the world, but I know that's impossible. Still, the tears fell as I realized how fast time moves past us. We live each day with little notice of the small things that shape who we'll be tomorrow or next year. I've tried really hard these past two years to remember every tiny detail about Alice, and now they are tucked safely inside my heart. So, I gave my baby space to grow. She was so excited about her new 'Big Girl Bed' that it took her awhile to go to sleep. Most of the night I slept in partial consciousness waiting for her to cry out to me - but she didn't. This morning I snuck into her room to watch her sleep and her little legs were pulled up under her belly, tiny butt sticking in the air, and I smiled. She had her Raggedy Ann and her stuffed Elephant tucked safely beside her where she could hold on to them. I suppose she learned that from me...

When Alice woke up she smiled at me and giggled. "Mommy, I'm big girl," and then she ran to me and cried "mommy hold Alice, mommy hold Alice." You see...even big girls still need their moms.

6 Comments:

  1. Sunshine said...
    That is beyond precious! I have missed reading you & your life. They grow up so fast..... but they always need their mommies. Even if they don't always realize it.
    Anonymous said...
    This never changes Net.
    No matter how old our babies get we yearn to keep them close to our hearts like we did when they were infants.You have a big heart,it will stretch all the way to her college dorm and jet setting days when she is older..trust me..lol
    Great post.
    Thanks for sharing~
    NML/Natalie said...
    This made me beam a rather big smile. How lovely. At least you cherish every moment of her childhood. They grow so quickly!
    Grateful said...
    Beautiful, as always.
    Caterpillar said...
    I love that you're so aware of everything, and that you write some of the things about Alice here. And I just love your description of how she was sleeping this morning!! I love the little Alice stories!

    And I also feel for you even though I don't have children yet.
    Anonymous said...
    Start Making Money Today.. Why wait

    I would like to tell everyone I know about a new web site for windows web hosting... If you are looking on ways to mkae money starting a business and need a site to host it on . Visit http://webhost11.com/ Today

Post a Comment