3/19/2006

Have I succeeded

My father sent me this...they are not his words but they are words he carries with him and he wanted to share them with me. Now, I want to share them with you.

" To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and
endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best
in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a
garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has
breathed easier because you lived. This is to have succeeded."

How many of you can honestly say you have succeeded in this life? I hope that number is plentiful.

8 Comments:

  1. Lori said...
    Gosh, I remember reading this quote many years ago and wrote it down myself because I liked it so much.

    So many people tend to think of success in material ways. Not true. Another thing I once read: "The truly rich man is he whom children run to, even when his hands are empty." This fits my parents to a T; children adore them simply because they are who they are.
    WDKY said...
    Great words. And, I guess, it's for others to decide if we've succeeded... we just need to know that we've done our best.
    JJ said...
    Not yet but it's a work in progress.
    I see you,
    JJ
    Networkchic said...
    Lori I love that quote...

    I'm still working on this list but I feel like I'm getting there. The more I learn about life, the more I feel as if I'm succeeding in all the right things, at least the things that matter most.
    Rex said...
    This is great. Thanks so much for sharing your Dad''s words.
    Anonymous said...
    Thanks for sharing ~
    k o w said...
    I succeed a little more with each breathe.
    WoodChuck said...
    Success is relative here. We're like a baseball player. We'll never bat .1000 but if we become seasoned athletes then our record improves...not that we don't ever strike out now and again.

Post a Comment