3/03/2006

everything has it's place

It's been three days since I gave up clutter for Lent. I have to admit that I'm not much of a material clutter kind of person. I hate having things strewn all over the counter tops, I can't stand misc. items like shoes, socks, underwear - littering the floor. I was brought up to believe that everything has it's place and the sooner you put something back where it belongs the easier you'll be able to focus on what's important. I know those lessons were actually about the kind of clutter you have in closets or the back seat of your car not the 'emotional clutter' that I'm working on cleaning up. But as I look back on all those times when my mother lectured me about how an organized closet could lead to an organized mind, I actually have to agree with her. As much of a clean freak as I am I tend to shove things into the crevices where no one can see them. My counters are clean, my bedroom spotless, but if you open the hall closet you will see all the things I couldn't find a place for, useless things. Every day I walk by this closet I avoid having to open it. When I see what's inside my heart starts to race, my breathing quickens, I feel - out of control. I hate clutter...I said that right? But as much as I can't stand seeing clutter out in the open, I've somehow come to believe it's ok if it exists in places no one looks. There are very few people in this world that will make an effort to open that hall closet door and look inside. It's not convenient, they don't really 'need' anything from inside so they pass by and look the other way and pretend - there is no clutter, there are only shiny surfaces that are pleasing to the eye. I suppose it all goes back to that old theory, out of sight out of mind. The thing about that hall closet is that eventually you will need something from inside. You will stand in front of the door and pause before you turn the handle. You will close your eyes because you are afraid of what might fall on top of you, things that may be so heavy the weight of them might crush you. As the door opens, nothing falls out. You turn the light on. For the first time you see that the things you hid behind that door are not nearly as useless as you thought they were. Everything has it's place, even clutter.

8 Comments:

  1. Rex said...
    Great share. You always have a way of bringing the message in suc a profound way...thanks for sharing. A message I needed to hear today.
    Caterpillar said...
    Very cool post! It's got me thinking on more than one level right now!

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Lori said...
    This is very, very true. So many people are preoccupied with polishing up the outside appearances that they let the inside go. Eventually though, no matter how lovely the outer shell, what lies inside can no longer be contained and comes spilling out in a dirty, unattractive mess. The reverse can also be true. Sometimes a person is so dishelved on the outside that no one bothers to look past it. And though it is covered up, sometimes what lies within is beautiful and of great worth. It simply needs a little polishing to make it sparkle.
    Anonymous said...
    Clearing the clutter works ~
    That reminds me,I need to clear some from under my bed including those wild dust bunnies.
    Have a fab'weekend Net :)
    Thanks for sharing.
    kimmyk said...
    I've been thinking about peeling my layers lately.....I think it's spring fever and my need to clean.

    If you get rid of your clutter...bring that hammy baby girl of yours to my house and help me get rid of my shit. Deal?
    WDKY said...
    Yes. Perhaps you're right... I know I have to have order around me to allow myself to think in an ordered way. Whether or not some of my "clutter" is good clutter... I'll think about that one.

    Have a great weekend, NWC (sigh...)
    NML/Natalie said...
    You've reminded me that I need to de-clutter. I do like my bit of clutter though - it adds character to my place. However, I feel clearer headed and more organised when I have less of it.
    madameplushbottom said...
    I pray that whoever chooses to open my hall closet has really good insurance because it is an avalanche waiting to happen. I spent four days last weekend de-cluttering my home and I did not add ONE single thing to my closet. If it didn't have a proper home it either went in the garbage or to the Goodwill secondhand store. When you own 702 square feet - it forces you to stay on top of this task or live like a slob and I just can't live like a slob - it hurts too much.

    Plus I'm a firm believer in the thought that my house matches my heart - when my house is messy its because my head/heart are messy.

    thanks for such a great post!

Post a Comment