2/27/2006

when love is enough...part two

Thank you all so much for the kind wishes on my daughter's birthday. The weekend was spent celebrating with family and I have to tell you that it amazes me how the presence of a child can bring so much love into any situation. Although the weekend was more about Alice's birthday it was hard to deny the fact that this was the last celebration my step dad will have in his home. Somehow I managed not to cry while I was around him, mostly I found strength from knowing that if he saw me cry he might actually remember that in a couple of weeks he'll be leaving all that is familiar to him. Can you imagine leaving the home you've known for so long, the bed you sleep in, the stairs that you walk every morning which lead you to a life you've become accustomed to? As much as I try to imagine it, I can't. I take it for granted that this world I know is mine for keeps. It hasn't always been that way, there were times in my life when I didn't know if the place I laid my head at night would be the same the next day. Those choices were mine, it was me that made the decision to run away from my life. When my daughter saw her "Papa," she ran to him and hugged his neck, planting kisses on his face. As he stood there hugging my sweet child I made a promise to myself and to her that I'd never let him forget how much we loved him. People can forget the road they've traveled, the people they have seen along the way, but the love, that's a memory we own forever.

7 Comments:

  1. Caterpillar said...
    Oh, my heart just goes out to you, NWC. As you know, I have a hard time leaving the familiar, and combine that with losing the memories and it makes me want to weep for him and for you. But I agree that hopefully that feeling, the instict that you're loved, can always be felt.

    The image of Alice running to hug her Papa is so heartwarming.
    k o w said...
    I swear your site is the most beautiful thing I've ever read. I don't know what it is but damn I love reading it.

    Must be the birthday.
    Mellissa said...
    What a reminder to be be thankful, to make memories TODAY and to hold on.

    This was beautiful NC.

    M
    Anonymous said...
    That last sentence is worth a millin words. I think I'll write it down.
    kimmyk said...
    All I can say is ...awww. how sweet it must have been to be there.

    i hope you took lots of pictures.
    WDKY said...
    NWC, those memories are so important... there's not much I can say, in reality. I'll beam some love over instead.
    Blondie... said...
    Lots of love to you darling... Poetic words escape me at the moment for your stepfather but I am glad you had a fair time with family and friends. Kiss the princess for me.

    ((hugs))
    Ruthie

Post a Comment