2/01/2006

hand in hand...


When I was a little girl my mother would always make me hold her hand when we walked down the street. I remember wanting her to let me go, to let me be a grown up. When we're children one of the most important moments is when we finally get to cross the street on our own. When it came my time, I placed my little feet close to the edge of the curb and looked both ways to make sure it was safe. When my mother finally gave the go ahead, I carefully placed my foot on the street and began to walk across. When I finally made it to the other side, I waved to my mother and shouted, "Mommy, I did it - all by myself." That day my mother let go of my hand, I wonder if she knew that it was really and ending for her and a whole new beginning for me. When my own daughter places her little hand in mine part of me wants to hold on for dear life...partly so she'll cross the street safely...partly so I will.

Place your hand in mine and walk with me
I'll show you some things I've seen
Some things you'll take with you, tucking them gently inside yourself
Some things you'll lay along side the road while you forge your own path
I'll be here, watching for traffic
When you make it to the other side
Wave to me to let me know you arrived safely
I'll wave back to remind you - I knew you would

Happy HNT HNT_1

15 Comments:

  1. lime said...
    wonderful sentiments, beautiful poem and really lovely pic to go with it all. blessing to you and your little girl. happy HNT!
    WDKY said...
    That's such a beautiful photo, and such a lovely post... Happy HNT, NWC x
    Christa said...
    That's so cute :)
    Happy HNT!
    Anonymous said...
    ooooooo I love this one!
    I just know that cosmic connection when our babies put thier trust and hands , in to ours.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Tab
    ps>I have hands on my blog today !
    JJ said...
    OMG NWC..that is a beautiful picture. Makes me want my little girls back. Instead they are teenage trouble makers.
    I see you,
    JJ
    Caterpillar said...
    That picture is So Incredibly Precious!! Adorable!!
    k o w said...
    You've got a great eye for pictures.
    Shannon said...
    OOO NWC... I so can totally relate... I really miss when my Bayleigh was that little... she still is (only 7) but so big... and likes to do a lot by herself... time goes by sooo fast... she will be 8 soon... and then a TEENAGER....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH...

    well I hope you and your baby gurl have a most fantabulous day!!!!!
    KatieFeldmom said...
    My favorite HNT post of the day!
    Great picture, story, and poem!
    MamaKBear said...
    I have a past HNT pic very similar to this one! So precious! I loved the post with it too.

    Happy HNT! :)
    ~Tim said...
    2 cute! HHNT!
    Just Me said...
    A beautiful picture and a touching post!

    Happy HNT!
    Blondie... said...
    Ever so lovely NWC. I really love to be funny about my son but the true sentiments I feel are so deep. I love that there are more parents that feel that soul shaking devotion.

    Happy Belated HNT.
    Anonymous said...
    I love this photo.
    Sky said...
    Such a beautiful photo!

Post a Comment