1/31/2006

rescue missions

Sometimes my house is a zoo, literally. I have two dogs, two cats, a toddler, and a significant other...all living under one roof. I've always been one of those people that feels compelled to rescue things, friends, men, and animals. I've learned through my trials and tribulations to stick to the animal rescue part since animals seem much more grateful of my efforts. When I was a kid we lived out in the country and had about 7 acres of land so that afforded me quite a bit of space for my rescue missions. Twice I rescued baby rabbits after my dad mistakenly uncovered there nest while mowing, their mother wouldn't return after that so I took them in. I called a veterinarian to be sure I fed them the right milk. They were so little that I had to feed them with a dropper. When rabbits are babies they don't know how to swallow so you have to rub their little throats so they learn to swallow the milk. I built them a little house and filled it with the reminants of their nest so they'd feel close to their mama. I loved watching them grow and I wanted to keep them for a pet but I knew that was no kind of life...they needed to be free so I kept them as long as I could, made them feel safe and loved. Once they were old enough, I let them go. I also rescued a squirrel with a broken tail, no clue how it was broken but he was pretty upset about it. I rescued countless baby birds, a whole slew of kittens, a dog with a broken leg, and a baby raccoon who's mother was killed in a trap. I needed to rescue things. When I look back at all my missions of mercy I realize that it was actually me that needed the rescuing. I wanted someone to pick me up, mend my broken wings and make me feel safe. That never really happened so instead of playing the part of a victim, I chose the role of savior.

My life has been filled with many rescue missions, some successful, some failures. I've tried to rescue so many people from themselves that most times I ended up being the one that needed to be airlifted from the wreckage. My days of rescuing have become fewer in number, most likely because I learned that the only person that can save me is the person with the most experience in rescue missions, me.

10 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    That is such an important part of lifes journey, taking care of us.
    I hope your day yesterday went better and you recieved the support and love you may have needed to work that through.
    You really do have a big heart Net'
    Thanks for sharing.
    Tab
    Sky said...
    You know, it's funny..I was going to post something similar a couple of days ago and just never followed through. Like you, I am a rescuer or as text books call it...co-dependent or as others call it, a sucker. I don't know if I need rescuing from myself but I always think that I can make the world better. I imagine that you are the same type person. I can fix things. Recent thing..I brought that 10 year old dog home because I felt I needed to do something. Why do we make everyone else's problems our own? Have you ever read Co-dependency No More? It's a very good book, I recommend it.

    I have learned over the years, like you have but still have a really long way to go. I can't fix everyone's problems and neither can you. It's time that you worry about you...I know such a concept :).
    Shannon said...
    NWC
    I just love your sharing... so open.. and I hope you have a great day... take care of yourself....
    AndyT13 said...
    I'm another critter rescuer so I can relate. Also a secret keeper. In case you haven't figured this out: When someone is committed to taking their own life no amount of intervention will stop them. Had you told you might have stopped that instance, but sooner or later those committed to death succeed. It's not your fault. Just my two bits.
    kimmyk said...
    We get our next doggie rescue tomorrow. Her name is Sadie and I'm sooo excited.....

    Cool song too!
    Caterpillar said...
    That was beautifully said, NWC.

    I love that you rescued animals, they're all so sweet and so deserving of love, and need so much love. As a side note - I also rescued a bunny when I was young, fed it from my baby's bottles and cuddled it, until it got big enough to let go, and that was so hard. I guess I wasn't so creative in naming because I chose "Little Bunny" for it's name! :)
    Lori said...
    You are so right. I used to be stuck in this mode as well, but no more.

    Your writing is so poignant and really makes me think about the trials of others. Though I have my crosses to bear, all in all I have led an extraordinary, enchanted life. I try to portray that in my writing so that others can see that there is another way...

    I see you coming out of all this darkness and crossing over onto that path as well.
    Blondie... said...
    I'm a rescuer as well. Until the day I found that I needed it...and was the only person that helped myself. You were so succinct in that point.

    I think I love you! ;-) A sister kind of love...your writing really knicks away at the soul. I hope it stays this way.
    NML/Natalie said...
    I think the urge to rescue is the nuturing side in you, but like you have rightly realised, you need to nuture yourself first and foremost. Reaching out and helping others is sometimes away of distancing ourselves from the things that we ourselves need. Often we need nuturing more than they do. I love that you are making all of these realisations.
    Brooklyn said...
    I happened upon your site a few days ago. Reading the pages have
    given me a glimpse of existence into another realm. Thank you.

Post a Comment