11/04/2005

Maybe I told you, I play the guitar. I stopped for awhile when I was pregnant, it's pretty hard to hold a guitar close enough to strum when your stomach is out to....there. Anyway, I started playing again and it's such an outlet. Every Thursday I head out to my guitar class and sit with a bunch of hippies. Truly, that's what they are. There's the guy with ten piercings, I'm still trying to figure out ten places he'd be able to actually pierce himself. There's the girl who works in libraries playing music for children and she says f*ck every other word (note to self - do not send daughter to story hour at that library). There's the guy who works at the local coffee shop, considers himself an aspiring musician, and wears flip flops...even when it's 40 outside. There's the freaky tattooed guy who has more ink than skin showing. I like tattoos but not the ones on your forehead that say 'think', I like to think but it doesn't have to be labeled on my forehead to remind me. Probably my favorite girl is the one that smells like patchouli and tells me every week that God loves me. I suppose it's nice to be reminded that someone loves you - by someone you actually know, not some almost stranger you see once a week. The teacher, well he's a hippie too. He's a musician, a real one. He wears black almost every week, he wears big combat boots that are painted (not dyed) red. His guitar has Bush sucks carved on it which isn't really disturbing, but the pin he wears labeled "aborted fetus" kind of is ...disturbing. Generally I like hippies, hell, once I even pretended to be one complete with braids down to my arse and spliffs tucked in my bosom. Eventually though I had to take a bath and remove the contraband - it was hard to get a good job looking like Janis Joplin. Each week I get to be the little yuppie that sits in the corner, the one that sticks out like a sore thumb. But, I have the coolest guitar - because I am the only one in the class that can actually afford a 'real' guitar. I have a job. I guess being a hippie has a downside.

6 Comments:

  1. ... j said...
    the benefits of not being a hippy defiantely outweight the benefits of being a hippy. Hippies smell, dont shave, are irraional, and are almost as bad as hipsters. Though i do kinda like hippies sometimes, but never when they go on and on and on about following Fish 3 for a decade, I mean please!~
    WDKY said...
    I'm kind of fond of the hipy look for women, actually... what kind of music do you play?
    Caterpillar said...
    The guy actually has a tattoo on his forehead that says Think? That's crazy! And your teacher sounds like a character, but I agree that the pin is very disturbing.

    I don't have any interesting characters in my guitar class :(
    Networkchic said...
    Yep it actually says Think. I guess that's better than a tattoo that says Loser.
    Caterpillar said...
    Agreed! I guess if you really must have a tattoo on your forehead, the word Think is better than other alternatives!
    Blondie... said...
    LOL about "think".

    Hippy babe huh? That actually sounds cool but I guess getting a non-hippy job that paid well would be hard to get! hehe

    That is sooo COOL you play the guitar. When it comes to this instrument the only talent I have is listening! hehe

Post a Comment