11/08/2005

Inconvenience

This morning I went down to the local Caribou Coffee located in the building I work in. I love this place, when I walk in they already have my coffee (dark roast - with just enough room for cream), waiting for me at the counter. It's nice when people know how you like your coffee. Every morning I have non-probing conversations with the people that work there, sometimes I just love that type of communication, it's safe and easy. So anyway I remind the girl at the counter that this will be the last week that I'll be coming in for coffee. Our office is moving to another building - a whole block away. She said, "you'll come back, we're not that far." Well actually, I probably won't come back because walking one block really is THAT far. Now how lazy does that make me? Pretty damn lazy. But, I bet I'm not alone in my thinking. Our lives are about convenience. We shop at the closest grocery stores even if we hate them and they're more expensive because driving 3 more minutes to the one you really like, just takes too long. We eat at the restaurants in our neighborhood not because their good, but because they are 3 blocks from our home and we really don't have time to travel any further. Convenience doesn't only apply to the places we eat or shop, it spills over into our relationships. How many of you have dated or had sex with someone simply because they were 'convenient'? I know I have. It was easier to settle for the person who didn't meet all my qualifications then to go out and search for someone that did. Searching for Mr/Mrs right is a damn hard task and I'm lazy, I don't want to work that hard. We take shortcuts around everything in life and one day we wake up and realize we've shorted ourselves on some damn fine scenery.

I tell myself that I should get my arse in gear and stop doing things based on how convenient they are. Walk the block, drive the extra distance, stop settling....just put one foot in front of the other, and soon we'll be walking.....

9 Comments:

  1. WDKY said...
    That's really ironic, nwc... I've just decided not to have my "new" business mail forwarded to my house from the office round the corner where they're handling my post and calls after the New Year. It'll make me get up, get dressed and - I hope - cycle over there every morning.

    As for "convenient" sex... I've done that too. I should think we all have.
    Sky said...
    I used to settle in regards to relationships but have gotten out of that "convenient" routine which would explain why I have been single for so long.

    However, I am still not against convenient sex once in awhile :)
    maria said...
    Hahahaha, we are anything BUT convenient. He lives in Eng;and, I live in Mexico, he is moving. Convenience was certainly no tin the equation for us.

    Totally worth it, by the way.
    Networkchic said...
    Wow Maria...that's love.
    Caterpillar said...
    I dated a guy for six years when I was younger, and it would have been so easy and convenient to stay with him and marry him. But I didn't settle, and it was one of the best things I ever did. Hard, but so good in the long run!

    Of course, it always takes the extra effort to do the inconvenient things. But Caribou is the best, so I'd walk the extra block (except when it's freezing outside)!
    TJ said...
    Very insightful post, NWC. It made me realize that convenience has overtaken my life as well--in that the only sex that I'm having these days is with the the people who come to deliver my take-out food orders. I really need to get out more.

    and you can keep the handcuffs handy, but I did put up a new post this afternoon...
    NML/Natalie said...
    I can't be arsed to do the convenience thing with my guys because they aren't that friggin convenient otherwise I'd be getting laid on the regular!
    Kate B. said...
    Convenience really is a double edged sword. But the pleasure in walking that extra few blocks can't be underestimated.
    Blueprincesa said...
    yeah it's getting out of that comfort zone that is the hardest, most rewarding thing...

Post a Comment