11/09/2005

some things you say

I love words. I love to speak them, sing them, but mostly I like to write them. Sometimes people say things, things that make me think, make me want to run and get a pen so I can write them down - so I can remember them later. It amazes me the power words can possess. Words can change the way you feel about something almost in an instant. Words can evoke such emotion simply by existing. They don't have to be spoken to be heard. Sometimes writing words on paper or on a computer screen makes them that much more powerful. Sometimes we are deaf and cannot hear any words until we're forced to read them making us listen with our hearts instead of our ears. Words can harm and they can heal and sometimes they do both at the very same time. They can paint a pretty picture or color a scene ugly. It doesn't matter what language they are in, words have the same power whether their spoken with our tongues or our hands. They can inspire an audience of a thousand, or one, but both are just as significant. Sometimes words are twisted into meaning something other than their original intent but that burden lies more on the audience than the author. Words are communication whether they lay quietly on a piece of paper or slip beautifully off a tongue. Words are our salvation because without them, who would hear our pain. We shout them in anger, whisper them in love, write them in anticipation - of being understood. And sometimes we are understood and other times we keep writing, keep speaking, keep thinking - words. Words to describe how we feel, express what we want, and chase away our demons. Words make us something worth knowing. Words are power. Some handle their power gently, but some are foolish and never consider the consequences of their words. Words can be used as weapons - to harm, to maim, to tear down, the very self that some words helped build strong. Sometimes when it seems we have nothing else in life, words still remain. Love, hope, believe, strong, fail. succeed, run, hide, stand, walk, here, now, lift, heart, high, grasp, something, hold, this, never, stop, life, tomorrow, is, now.

Words - yield your power wisely.

7 Comments:

  1. kimmyk said...
    That's what I always told my kids when they were little "use your words" or now I say "choose your words wisely".
    I need to listen to what I tell my children sometimes because every now and then I get crazy and start spewin swear words like a trucker.
    But at least I'm a visual spewer.....
    Blondie... said...
    I love this post!! Yes, words are like reading raw emotions and hearing them can cut deeper than most swords.

    Thank you for posting this!
    WDKY said...
    And yours are particularly potent, NWC. You're a bit of a wordsmith on the quiet.

    I always think we underestimate the power not only of what we say, but also the way that we say it. Communication, or lack of it, is behind most of the relationship issues I see, mine included.
    Networkchic said...
    You WDKY ever since I was a little kid I'd write things down instead of saying them. I used to write my mom long poems telling her how much I loved her. It's kind of ironic that I inherited my 'way with words' from my dad - since he seems to be the subject of a lot of my posts.
    maria said...
    words are, indeed, the way to our souls, the way we interpret them, however, the life they take on other people's minds, that is what should keep us worried. Gotta be careful with words. Very good post.
    Anonymous said...
    The words that slip off your fingers and light up my screen are always appreciated.. loved the post.. i've always been better at expressing my feelings in writing than speech.. sometime's i would make little 'i love you' notes for my mom because i rarely ever told her that i did.. i've changed now.. but not as much as i'd like to.. once again, great post
    k o w said...
    Words are the most powerful force in the universe.

    Believe

Post a Comment