11/12/2005

life is fair

My office is moving to a brand new building. It's tall, shiny, has pretty lights, and cool artwork and I don't care about any of it. This building, is a place I go to work. I go there to do my job so I can take a paycheck home, so I can feed my daughter and put a roof over her head and that's it. I have to work this weekend to make sure all the servers work and that each desk has connectivity, sometimes I hate being depended on. When I was younger I wanted to be important, to know things, to be relied upon. Now, I've changed my mind. Knowing things can really be more of a hindrance than an asset. When you know things, people ask you questions - and expect you to have the answers. When you are the type of person that's dependable, people lean on you and expect you to have the strength to withstand it. Dependable, knowledgeable, ambitious people - get screwed. I've gotten a few perks from doing a job well done but no perk is worth the time and effort I've put in. This weekend instead of spending time with my daughter and my sig other, I get to come to work and be - dependable, knowledgeable, reliable, and pissed off. How's that for a perk?

I'd say I'm sorry for the rant, but really I'm not because the other thing I am - is honest. Life is fair - people are not.

5 Comments:

  1. WDKY said...
    It's the cross we have to bear, NWC... I disagree with you (for once) about the importance of the working environment, but I would... it's one of the things I "do".

    Why not come and work from my office at home? I have a plant in there, and Lola pops in quite regularly...
    Blueprincesa said...
    Yeah, sometimes it sucks being the reliable one... sometimes you just have to say "You know what? Figure it out yourself. I'm going home."
    NML/Natalie said...
    Yep, totally with you. Being reliable, dependent etc is like giving people a license to f*ck with you. I have found myself drawing a line more and more often. We work to live, not live to work and the SO and kid are *way* more important. Nice rant
    TJ said...
    I hope that your weekend at work was as stress-free as possible, and that you still had time to do something enjoyable for yourself.

    Being the reliable one can be a burden not only at work, but with family and in relationships as well.
    Shannon said...
    oh that does suck... LOL I sooo know what you mean.. slackers get off sooo much easier... LOL hang in there.. and have a good rest of your week

Post a Comment