5/17/2006

taken for granted

Finally after many many days of rain and gloom, the sun is actually shining. This morning after I finished my daily routine of dressing sweet Alice and making her breakfast I took a moment ( a few actually) to step outside and soak up a bit of the sun. I'm guilty of taking that sunshine for granted. Most days I rarely stop even for the briefest moment to revel in its greatness and it takes days of raindrops soaking my spirit as well as my head to remind me that nothing in this life is a sure thing - not even sunshine. I walk through this life of mine with thin shades of gray pulled over my eyes hiding the true colors of the elements that make-up this existence. I'm sure some of my color blindness comes from the need to protect myself. Without color life can remain safer. Color causes us to linger in moments and lingering too long can be dangerous. But I'm changing now - actually I have been for the past 2 years. There's something about seeing life through the eyes of a child that gently pulls you back into the rainbow. Although I still do it, take things for granted - at least now I can admit it. The first step to changing something is admitting that it needs change, right?

Somewhere....over the rainbow....blue birds fly...birds fly over the rainbow....why oh why can't I? I can...I just have to flap my wings a little harder.

13 Comments:

  1. k o w said...
    Absolutely, first you have to identify what is wrong and then make it right.
    Michelle said...
    There are so many people in the world that do not stop and smell the roses or to feel the sunshine. I think that has made people the way they are today, they do not appreciate what they have and are so busy trying to get more, that the world passed right before them and they wonder where all the time has gone.
    Great post.
    Mama Dukes said...
    awareness, acceptance, action brings change

    and you help make my dull veiled world colorful--can't give away something we don't have---so keep peeling away, its colorful under there!
    Sunshine said...
    keep flapping, you're not flying alone! : ) We're all here with you.

    and keep appreciating all the color around you. I think when we start taking stuff for granted is when we lose it.
    kimmyk said...
    Ahhh change is hard. There are many things I'd love to change-especially about my attitude...but it's hard..and I think why bother no one else cares, but I guess it starts at home first.

    You're too tired to fly anywhere right now...you need to stay home and put your feet up....
    PG said...
    wow...
    Thank you SO much for the wonderful, kind words on my post today.
    Thank, you, thank, you, thank you.
    ..no taking things for granted on this blog.

    xoxxx
    e.e.
    Anonymous said...
    flap'flap'flap',we'll learn with you Net,,,so true..!
    Rex said...
    So true. If only we could all see the world through the eyes of a child. Thanks for sharing your changes.
    Caterpillar said...
    I love it when I remember to notice things - from the cool colors of the sky to the shapes of clouds to the texture of the ground. It makes life so much more enjoyable!

    I have that song in my head now!!
    madameplushbottom said...
    I've been noticing the warmth of the sun on my arm when I take a lunch break in the park and watching the sun glisten on the edge of the water's waves... it feels good to slow down even if it is for just five minutes in the middle of a jam packed day.
    Mellissa said...
    Funny how alike we think....Now I am thinking of the joy and sunshine your little one brings into your life each day.

    With Love from Atlanta,
    Mellissa
    JJ said...
    I was wondering what that big bright thing in the sky was.
    I see you,
    JJ
    NML/Natalie said...
    The weather has been pants here too. I agree that change doesn't come about until you know that you need to in the first place.

Post a Comment