7/17/2006

it's neither here nor hair

I cut off my hair. That action was strictly prohibited for many many years of my life sometimes due to a controlling boyfriend who claimed to love my long locks and sometimes due to my own insecurity when I actually thought my hair made up 80% of the reason anyone would be attracted to me. Rubbish I tell you. It's been a long time since I cut my hair, almost 3 years to be exact. When I was pregnant the first time I cut my butt length hair up to my shoulders because...well I was pregnant and hormones do things like that to you. But, since having Alice I vowed to grow my hair long again. I'm not sure why, maybe I was feeling less than attractive since becoming a mom but the truth is that even though I'd still get the occasional glances from unsuspecting men, my hair couldn't quite live up to the task I'd placed on it. So this weekend while trying desperately to escape the near 100 degree temps in this lovely city I call home, I snapped. Well not exactly snapped but I couldn't get my hair up far enough off my neck to feel cool. It looked dirty and sweaty ten minutes after getting out of the shower so up it went into a pony tail. My hair had gotten pretty long, almost to the middle of my back, but honestly not many could tell how long it was because it spent the majority of its time up in some new fab doo. I came to the conclusion on Saturday that it's rather ridiculous to put so much importance on something growing outside of my head when the real meat and potatoes of who I am grows on the inside. I picked up Elle magazine and flipped through it with about as much interest as I have in reading one of my hubby's engineer magazines but...this picture of Halle Barry and Natalie Portman caught my interest. Short hair, a pixie, seems way to drastic but really, what do I have to lose? So I asked my hubby what he thought and he said..."honey you'd look good with a shaved head." I took that as a green light and I made the appointment. I walked in to the salon and said...cut it all off. My stylist had to catch herself from fainting but then she asked me if I was sure. "Well, no, but if I wait too long I'll lose my nerve." So she cut, and she cut, and she cut. When she was finished I hardly recognized myself but I wasn't nearly as scary as I thought I would be. She actually told me that I should never grow my hair out again because I have the face made for short hair. She said my head shape and my thick wavey hair are perfect and I should take advantage of the fact that I can pull off this short style and still look feminine as hell.

I love my hair. I feel sassy (not that I needed a new hair cut for that), I feel beautiful, I feel like I've cut off a huge weight - literally. It's funny when I think back to all the times that I refused to cut my hair because I thought I'd be ugly because now that I'm older, wiser, and less vain, I realize that being ugly comes from the inside of your head and no amount of hair can cover that up.

So...I'm exposed and you know what...I feel pretty damn good.

10 Comments:

  1. keda said...
    good for you sweetie!!

    i love short hair. i think it often looks much more beatiful, fresher and incredibly feminine. so i'm rather jealous!

    i sadly hated having short hair. i have a large raised bald spot/birth mark on the side of my head, so i was constantly worried it was showing. and i just couldn't be bothered to style it.

    enjoy! i so wish we could see ;)
    Anonymous said...
    You are so sexy woman living so comfortably and honestly in your own skin Net!
    I love that trait in people.
    I can imagine how great your haircut
    must feel too in the heat of the summer and being pregnant too..!
    Thanks for sharing your secrets to
    womanhood with us hehehehehe
    I have been meaning to ask you too..
    when is baby due?
    Thanks for sharing:)
    Anonymous said...
    You are so sexy woman living so comfortably and honestly in your own skin Net!
    I love that trait in people.
    I can imagine how great your haircut
    must feel too in the heat of the summer and being pregnant too..!
    Thanks for sharing your secrets to
    womanhood with us hehehehehe
    I have been meaning to ask you too..
    when is baby due?
    Thanks for sharing:)
    CeeCi said...
    NWChic::

    Congrats on the new-do! Get ready for many, many surprised people in your life. I actually had customers not recognize me when I dramatically changed my hair! Too much fun.

    Hair!!! One of my favorite things about myself. I have a full head of thick, wavy blonde hair. When it was long, I hid behind it. I rather became my hair, thinking it was the best part of my appearance. I dyed it dark red, in order to hide more. It took so long to dry (45 minutes) I was killing a blow dryer every 6-7 months. Then five years ago my whole world turned upside down. Along with all the changes I was going through, I cut off my hair! Bye-bye to 19" of expensive, heavy, dark hair! Hello, lots of attention and fun! My short blonde hair has brought me more compliments and attention than hair should, but then I have a wonderful stylist and I've given him carte blanche with my head.

    I know what you mean about finding your identity from something tangible. Now, I feel like my hair is an expression of who I am and not "who I am."

    Wow, will we get to at least have a picture of the back of your new cut? I'm so thrilled for you! Hey, there's your HNT for this week.

    **Hugs**
    Caterpillar said...
    That's so exciting!! And now today you can walk around outside in this heat and feel lighter!!! I'm so happy for you!!!
    Blondie... said...
    When I read this I felt like I was seeing me...again.

    I almost feel as if my hair is the only redeeming grace that I have. It is incredibly long by many standards... I have to admit though, I fear cutting it really short because the shorter it gets...the curlier...oi! lol

    I am so excited that you got such a sassy hair cut... you exude a beauty as it is... I bet the new hairstyle is awesome.

    ((hugs))
    lash505 said...
    I want to get my hair cut now.
    JJ said...
    Funny...I had hair down to my ass and after the birth of my girls (14 months apart) I cut it all off....I mean short short. Too much work to take care of with too young ones. I was always hot while preggo and I'm sure this heat we are having isn't helping you feel comfortable. You my friend are beautiful with or without hair and don't you forget it.
    I see you,
    JJ
    PS: Give my cyber God child a kiss please.
    Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...
    Good for you...I did the same thing in 2004. I had butt long hair and cut it into a pixie and I feel great and it's sooo much easier to take care of. Also think about the money you'll save on Shampoo...A bottle last forever now.

    I ride a motorcycle and now I can let the wind blow threw my hair and not get any tangles. YIPEE
    NML/Natalie said...
    You *are* brave!

Post a Comment