7/19/2006

heated up

Have you ever noticed that people are meaner when it's hot? It's been pretty darn hot here in Chicago for the past week nearing temps of 100 and with the humidity famous in the Midwest, it feels like 110. As much as I'd like to stay locked inside my house basking in the wonderfulness of air conditioning, I can't. I have to go to work downtown which means I have to ride a train...where there are other people pissed off that it's so darn hot. I have to walk a couple of blocks to our building and stand on street corners waiting for stop lights to change while people brush up against you and it pisses you off more because IT'S TOO DARN HOT to be touching bodies. I've managed to stay in a decent mood regardless of the heat but I have noticed that most of the people I encounter are in anything but a good mood. Yesterday I had three different people let door slam in my face because they were in such a hurry to get inside to the A/C that they didn't much care who was behind them. I had a bus almost run me over because the driver tried to speed through a yellow light. I see people yelling, I see people with frowns, I see people pretending that no one else exists except them. Although I live in a city of 3 million and it would seem that having that many bodies crammed into one space would make people mad in general, generally it's not like that. People usually are pretty friendly. We say hello or smile when our eyes meet, we hold doors for the people that are coming through behind us, we still might yell but we tend to have a bit more 'tact' when the heats not turned on high. I'm not sure why the heat affects us so negatively. I know it sucks to be hot but isn't it worse to be cold?

It's like that old saying states....If you can't stand the heat...get out of the kitchen. Ok so it doesn't exactly fit but you know what I mean right?

Have a wonderful HOT Wednesday.

10 Comments:

  1. Sky said...
    I would rather be cold than hot. I can always put more clothes on to get warm but only have so many clothes to take off to get cooler.
    Michelle said...
    I like the heat, with heat there is sun and I love the sunshine. Cold means snow and dreary days. People seem to live in the now and in the winter they will be wishing for those warmer days.
    CeeCi said...
    I must still live in small town USA. We're expecting 104 tomorrow and I know what I'll encounter. People running errands early. Customers saying how nice the a/c feels in the shop. Lots of comments on the heat and plans for going to a lake or swimming. Hot here doesn't come with humidity or 3million people trying to stay cool. Instead, it's part of summer and we seem to anticipate it and take it in stride. I love hot days.

    hmmm, sounds rather Norman Rockwell now that I've re-read it. No matter the weather, I'm happy to be where I am.
    Caterpillar said...
    When I see people doing extra sighing and being pushy, it reminds me how happy I am to be a happy, relaxed and patient person. I'm so glad I'm not like that!

    Stay cool! Oh and since I'm reading this late and the thunderstorms are on their way, stay dry, too!! :)
    PG said...
    What you guys get over there flows right our way into New England and thru Boston.
    People do seem to be nastier, especially with all the new traffic woes here.
    But I find the morning time is the best time... when I go out to water my flowers and let them try and beat the heat of the day.
    Sorry to hear about your rude-people-laden commute. Ugh. If I were pregnant and had to deal with all that I might just have to hurt someone....
    ;)
    (just teasin')
    keda said...
    mean, yes, and worse STUPID. especially people in cars (who often have less excuse thanks to air con.) and as you already have a little furnace in your belly... oof you really have my sympathy sweetie.
    NewYorkMoments said...
    I'm convinced that part of the problem in the middle east is that it's too hot!
    Patrick said...
    I wonder if that is why there is so much road rage in Phoenix, where it is 106 all summer

    but it is a dry heat ;)
    Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...
    My husband and I love the hot weather, but we live in a very small town where everyone is friendly no matter what the temperature. Everyone looks forward to the summer heat after the dreary winter months. It's been 105 degrees here and that is much better than 40.
    NML/Natalie said...
    But do you have to suffer stinking commuters like I do? ;-)

Post a Comment