4/03/2006

questions

Sometimes I think I have all the answers. There are always so many questions and I've always been the one at the back of the class, jumping up and down in her seat, hand waving furiously in the air, "Pick me, pick me." Sometimes I do actually have the right answer but most times I end up forgetting what the hell the question was to begin with. Have you ever searched so hard for an answer that by the time you think you have it, the question has changed? My father used to say, "We are always searching for the right answers, but there are no answers, there is only life." I wish I could remember that piece of advice every single day because if I could...

I'd stop wondering why people are not as kind as they should be.
I'd stop trying to figure out why lies hurt more than the truth.
I'd stop looking for the easy way around things because the easiest path is usually the wrong path.
I'd stop second guessing someone's good intentions and just accept that sometimes good things are just good things.
I'd stop wondering why God picks on me when really all he is doing is saying, NWC pay attention.
I'd stop wondering how things get so messed up and start straightening them out.

Life is a not a question, it is the answer.

13 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    I used to think I could figure it all out. Now I am aware that I don't really need to know or understand. Very liberating.

    "Those who say don't know. Those who know don't say" - Lao Tzu (quoting from memory)
    k o w said...
    I think if I truly understood everything I'd be really pissed off much of the time.
    WDKY said...
    There's more than a touch of buddhist in your father's response to you. And yes, when you stop searching all has a habit of becoming clear.

    Back to that simplicity you were talking about.
    Anonymous said...
    Life is the answer and we each have such a unique life!
    Caterpillar said...
    That quote by your father is just amazing. I'm putting it up on my wall, too! (I think I'll have to have a NWC section because I've loved so many of the things you write here!)

    I like what WDKY said too, about going back to simplicity.

    And definitely good things are often just good things, and good people like to just do go things for no other reason!
    Shannon said...
    BUT NWC dont you ever wonder why do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a diet coke or why do banks leave both doors open and then chain the pens to the counters or why do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures' or why do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.
    Shannon said...
    LOL just messin with you... I liked this post, I just got this email this mornign and thought it was funny... happy monday
    Shannon said...
    LOL just messin with you... I liked this post, I just got this email this mornign and thought it was funny... happy monday
    Rex said...
    Great post. It makes a lot of sense. Live life and enjoy life and quit worrying about all the whys. Love it!
    NML/Natalie said...
    I think that people who are on the quest for a definitive, 100% right answer to questions in life, end up stuck in limbo, not only because as you suggested the question changes, but also because it leaves people immobile and indecisive as sometimes there isn't the perfect answer. I'm confusing myself ;-)
    TJ said...
    Your father put it perfectly. I guess the question is what do we do with our lives while we search for a meaning to the answer...
    Networkchic said...
    Thanks Shannon...now I'm going to start thinking about why they have Braille lettering...oh my.
    Networkchic said...
    Thanks Shannon...now I'm going to start thinking about why they have Braille lettering...oh my.

Post a Comment