4/10/2006

Butt Shakes

I had a fabulous weekend. I didn't go out partying or do anything mildly spectacular but it was one of the most fulfilling weekends I've had in a long time. On Saturday my work had an open house geared towards children so we brought my daughter down to watch Ralph's World (children's band). As I watched how my sweet angel worked the crowd with her 'butt shakes' and 'hand clapping' I realized I was having a proud mama moment. She stood up in front of the crowd as if they didn't exist at all. She was lost in the music oblivious to anything else around her. I have to admit I was a bit envious of her boldness, I remember those days when only my own happiness mattered. I suppose that soon enough she'll grow up and the importance of her own happiness will be shoved behind that of someone else. Why do we do that? It's not that I think we should only take our own happiness into consideration but shouldn't it at the very least be near the top of our list? As sweet Alice danced her way across the room she actually came back for me, grabbed my hands and said, "dance mommy." She wanted me to share in her happiness as if it were big enough for both of us. You know what? It was. Maybe the key to being happy without being selfish is to always get other people involved.

11 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Kids are so carefree and cool, they really should rule the world.
    Yeah,socializing can make us humans happy don't cha think?
    I was so isolated in my grief for a while there I had forgotten what it was like to share laughs with the outside world,now I enjoy it:)
    You are absalutely right,one of the keys to being happy is to get others involved! Great post!
    Unknown said...
    Happiness ends the moment you decide to become happier.
    Rex said...
    Happy Butt Shakes to you all!
    k o w said...
    She's something special that Alice.
    Mama Dukes said...
    Seen often lately--'dance like no one is watching...

    I can almost see that little butt shaking
    WDKY said...
    I love a bit of buttshaking. Not my own butt, mind you, although I have been known to shake it.

    I think I'll stop there.
    kimmyk said...
    there is nothing more smile producing than a small child shaking their butt. I LOVE THAT!!
    JJ said...
    What a lovely experience. I miss my girls being like that. Now they spreading their wings....but I know someday they will fly home.
    I see you,
    JJ
    Fatma said...
    Great post! it sometimes takes so little to be so immensely happy.

    Fitèna
    Caterpillar said...
    How adorable and wonderful!!!! Her little butt shakes - I can't stop smiling just imagining the cuteness!
    NML/Natalie said...
    Fabulous last line. I love stopping by your blog for some TLC.

Post a Comment