10/13/2006

procrastination

I knew that yesterday was going to be cold. It was splashed all over the news..."Snow Flurries Coming," but for some reason it didn't prompt me to dig out my winter coat. So there I was standing on the El platform freezing my #$@$ off wondering why I do that...procrastinate that is. When I try to remember how I started that nasty bad habit I really have no idea - that's how long I've been doing it. I procrastinate everything and although it ends up causing me a lot more stress in the end, somehow I've convinced myself that if I can put off something that may cause me even a moment of unpleasantness, it's all worth it. I believe that of course until things pile up like a heap of garbage that I'm forced to sort through. I realize not that I not only procrastinate on things like digging out winter clothes or grocery shopping, I am an emotional procrastinator as well. There are so many things in my life that I've shoved to the back of my proverbial closet to allow me a few more brief 'pretend' moments of peace. It's amazing really how long you can actually live in denial or how often you can actually succeed at pushing off the 'bad things' you don't want to deal with. But then one day you'll find yourself standing on an El platform freezing your arse off and you'll realize that no matter how long you procrastinate, eventually the 'bad stuff' comes right back around to you.

I guess I really need to work on changing that about myself, the procrastination thing. I'm not exactly sure where to start but I think a really good place might be digging through that crap in my closet to find my warm winter coat. I'm really tired of being cold.

Have a wonderful weekend!

8 Comments:

  1. Trudging said...
    You have a good weekend too!!
    Caterpillar said...
    I hear you, I'm so terrible with procrastinating as well - about absolutely everything!

    And also, even though I love getting the Christmas spirit, I kind of want a slightly warmer fall for a little longer!!!

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Unknown said...
    I know what you mean.

    You have a nice weekend too ;)
    keda said...
    oh yes... that's one of my greatest skills. putting off what i could so easily do today until tomoro or a rainy day or a day slightly slower than today or.. :)
    dreadful i'm shivering here too now but can't be arsed to start the heating or get up on top of my cupboards to dig out the jumpers. thank goodness i left out blankets for my clients and legwarmers last year.
    maybe tommorrow.
    WDKY said...
    We all procrastinate, darling... think about it tomorrow.

    (I laughed myself at that one... see you in a week or so x)
    kimmyk said...
    I'm really bad about putting things off. I'm working on it.

    Keep that belly covered!
    Lori said...
    I miss coming here. Your posts always make me think and even though I have struggles, I realize through your words that I am more blessed than not.
    Unknown said...
    I'm kind of the opposite.
    Procrastination is a never for me.
    Oddly enough.

    But snow = ewww.
    I hate snow.
    I would like it if it wasn't cold.
    Because it looks so nice and sweet and romantic.

    But the facts that it's cold, brings the rest down. aha =(

Post a Comment