10/18/2006

commenting on my life

Several times in the not so distant past someone who wishes to remain anonymous leaves comments on my blog which is not the part I mind. It's actually the judgmental words they choose to drop so casually as if words really had no power at all. On this blog I post things about me. Things I do not sugar coat or dress up in ribbons or lace to make prettier than they are just so that whomever happens across my posts gets an image more pleasing to the eye. There are a few people that pass by this space that know me outside of blog land which doesn't bother me in the least. My posts are so real to the truth of who I am that I've even shared this blog with my mother, my husband, and several other friends. I take extreme offense to the 'Anon' comments where they assume to know me better than myself. I don't post things here with the hopes that someone will tell me how great I am. I post my past, my present, my future. I post about the things I've been through that have made me stronger and the ones that still cause me to be weak in the knees. I share my pain not for pity but for comfort or understanding to some other soul that has been in a place similar to mine. This commenter has reduced my 'blog friends' to figments of my imagination or parts of a fairy tale I've spun around myself. I'd like to ensure this commenter that if I were spinning my own fairy tale the story would be written much differently. You see, we don't choose to be 'damaged' or to carry baggage that weighs down our shoulders to the point that we feel broken. We live with the circumstances that life has dealt us and some of us, if we're lucky, examine our flaws with the hopes that someday we'll see them as parts of a whole. Parts we love just as dearly as the characteristics we celebrate.

The friends that I've made here are real to me. I choose not to place their lives under a microscope in which I spend any amount of time trying to determine what parts of their posts are real. I read what they write, I take in what I can, I respond with the goodness that I know resides within my heart. You see, that's all we can do isn't it? We can only take in what life allows. I find it most amazing that although you seem to despise what I write, you still seem to frequent my blog and take time out of your own fairy tale perfect life to leave me comments.

I assure you dear Anonymous commenter, you do not know me. Even if by chance you happen to have made my acquaintance outside of this place, you have never been allowed inside the realms of my world. As for your last comment about the darkness not being able to hide all my flaws, it appears you may be right but I thank God for that reality because each and every day that I walk this earth, my flaws become the reasons I survive.

One last suggestion to this 'Anon' person, maybe if you spent a little more time examining your own life and less time looking at mine, you might find that your hands are quite full of your own baggage.

7 Comments:

  1. keda said...
    yes sweetie. quite.
    Unknown said...
    "Be independent of the good opinion of others". That's the best advice I can give. That and don't engage the anon poster. Delete the comments and move on.

    I need to catch up on your blog...very inspirational for me. Wheather you know it or not you helped me through a rough patch a while ago and for that I am eternally grateful.

    Peace.
    PG said...
    I know it would leave some people out, but I just don't allow anon commenters anyway.
    I agree with AAwoken ... don't engage the idiot.
    But you HAVE articulated some of the same stuff I have in the past...about having "real" blog friends. And this is important.
    Everyone I write to and comment with (some of whom I have met in person, and some I am still looking forward to meeting)... ...mean a lot to me and I hold dear to my heart.
    I hold you dear to my heart as well. I would consider you a friend and stand by your side any day... in the light, in the darkness...wherever.
    We come here to celebrate our joys, our sorrows, and to examine the ups and downs. Sharing them with wonderful people like you is such a fabulous pleasure.
    I am blessed to have come to know you!
    Anonymous said...
    Net..I you don't have to justify one single line from your thoughts to anyone here ...not even little ol'"anon" there.

    We SEE you Net :)
    Southern Sweetheart said...
    Here! Here! Well said my friend.
    lash505 said...
    I hate idiot comments and breaking a person anonymity is not acceptable..expose the asshole.
    WoodChuck said...
    I think of Eleanor Roosevelt's quote in situations like this, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Good job, Emily.

Post a Comment