9/18/2006

Rain Rain....

Yesterday as I sat in my big fluffy recliner watching the rain pelt against the window and felt the gentle rhythm of Patrick's hiccups inside my belly, I felt at such peace. I've always loved rainstorms because it seems like God's way of giving us another chance. All the dirt and grime is washed away leaving a nice clean surface to start anew. I've always thought those storms that lasted days on end was His way of telling us that the dirt was pretty thick and it was going to take more than a simple shower to see the glisten again. When I was a kid I used to love to stand out in the rain, let it run down over me as if it really could wash away all the bad. Even though I know technically it takes a whole lot more than some drops of water to get a clean surface, I always felt better after I dried off. Have you ever done that...stood out in the rain and let it wash over you? Sometimes I think we let the water run over us but we hold on so tight to the grungy parts of ourselves that even a hurricane couldn't wash away the bad. It's all about letting go. Tipping our head to the side, letting the water run in and out of our ears to unclog the grime that's stopped us from listening to ourselves. Closing our eyes, letting the water drip from our eyelashes so that when we open them again, we see only hope. And while we're at it, lets open up our shirts and let the rain pour over our chest to wash away the layers we've let accumulate over our hearts that prevent us from loving the way we were meant to.

I walked outside yesterday and lifted up my shirt and let the rain wash over my pregnant belly. I was hoping to give Patrick a clean start when he decides to make his entrance. I'll leave you with my daughter's wise words..."the rain makes me pretty again." Sometimes we all need a good strong rain storm to make our skies sunny again.

P.S. an appropriate song for Musical Monday is by a very talented singer songwriter named Kasey Chambers and one of my favorite songs is "Am I not pretty enough". You can listen and download it from here. I also encourage you to listen to the song "The Captain" too.

Have a great Monday. Image hosting by Photobucket

9 Comments:

  1. JJ said...
    NWC...I do still go stand out in the rain showers. Last time it was a lightening storm and I called God on....I figured if he was going to take me he/she would of taken me then.
    What a wonderful story. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Kisses to my cyber God child Patrick!
    I see you,
    JJ
    Anonymous said...
    You are beautiful for being yourself and embracing what inspires you in life Net..even that lovely rain!
    Thanks for sharing~
    Caterpillar said...
    Reading your beautiful words here makes me really wish that it were raining outside right now - I would go out and let it pour over me - in my ears, over my eyes, and over my heart. I love the image and feeling I have right now, just imagining it!

    I love this song, too. And I was just listening to The Captain (which I had downloaded from you awhile ago!) over the weekend and had to play it over and over again because it's so beautiful!
    Heather said...
    i love the rain. and i love thunderstorms. i feel like my soul gets a reboot everytime a bolt hits the ground.
    kimmyk said...
    I love your daughters words.

    Very sweet. I love the smell in the air after it rains. Everything is fresh and new....

    Like Patrick. How many weeks are you now?
    PG said...
    It's raining here, tonight, as I read this. I just lost a friend ... he has gone back to the earth and sky.
    I think I will go take a walk in the rain and let his spirit wash over me.
    Thanks, my friend. I hope you are well.
    lash505 said...
    I love the sound of the rain, it's cleansing.
    Shannon said...
    NWC... you made me smile thinking of you washing your belly in the rain and enjoy Patrick (nice irish name) hiccupping inside you.. I loved it when I was pregnant when I would feel Bayleigh move

    happy tuesday now :)
    Unknown said...
    awww~ baby hiccups ;)

    That is really cool. I would never have had the guts to do that. I wish I did. Thats why I drank, so I could get the courage. Maybe I should go see the Wizard.

Post a Comment