11/22/2006

when it's time to be thankful

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day for those of us here in the states. It means a lot of different things to a lot of people and I must admit that even for me, the meaning has changed multiple times over the years. It seems that no matter where I was in my life, what pain I was going through, Thanksgiving was always one day that remained immune from reality. My family would gather around and pretend that we were all happy but even though that day retained a certain 'falseness' it also became a comfort. Sometimes it's actually ok to take comfort in things that may not be truthful to the core.

I know some of you write your grateful lists quite often and I'm always impressed how that list stays in the forefront of your life, reminding you of what you have. I won't lie, as much as I try each day to be thankful for what I have, sometimes I let the moments slip past with no acknowledgment at all. Try as I may to be more aware of my blessings, I've realized there is a difference between being aware of them and being thankful. It seems rather generic to start now, the day before Thanksgiving, but I'm going to do it anyway - because timing seems less important than the actual acknowledgement.

I'm thankful:

-that in a heart where once only pain existed, there is love strong enough to make the pain less 'painful'

-that I know myself better than I did before and I'm not scared of what I've discovered

-for second chances

-for people who have a stronger will than mine

-that sometimes it's ok to be scared

-that one man decided to ignore my request to 'leave me alone'

-that God blessed me with Alice and soon with Patrick

-that Alice 'touches my heart' every morning

-for the ability to forgive

-that I can remember the people that love me

-that people remember me for my accomplishments and not my flaws

-that I can be who I am and that people let me


My list could be longer but I realize it's not about putting the words down on paper or even saying them out loud, it's about really living my life in a way that reflects how grateful I am.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and whether you celebrate the day or not, choose to celebrate your life. Be thankful every day, every moment - until there are no more moments left. Happy Thanksgiving.

7 Comments:

  1. lash505 said...
    So how did you feel writing that list? A fine list it is...happy thanksgiving, and laugh..
    Anonymous said...
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Net:)
    Caterpillar said...
    I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, NWC!!! You have so much to be grateful for, and it feels so good to realize it even every once in awhile, doesn't it! I love your list, it's just perfect :)
    NML/Natalie said...
    Happy thanksgiving. This was a lovely post xx
    kimmyk said...
    Aww.

    What a great one!

    It's good to sit and reflect on how blessed we truly are. Everyday we have our little lovelies is a good day.

    Hope your Turkey day was a good one!
    Trudging said...
    I hope you had an excellent Holiday!
    Unknown said...
    Very nice list. It's hard coming up with gratitude lists.

    I really love your blog.
    I am thankful you are here.

Post a Comment