3/19/2007

If I should die...

Before now in some other life that I pretended to live, I never thought about death. When you are a kid death is something that escapes you. You go to sleep each night assuming that the sun will rise again, there will be more hours to play, more time to get chores done, more chances to do the things you neglected to do. For some of us, we briefly experience death when our beloved pet dies or a grandparent is laid to rest. For some, the less fortunate, they realize way too soon what death means by losing their parent or a sibling. But me, even though I remember standing over my grandfather's casket when I was seven I also remember thinking that it wasn't real. A child has that wonderful ability to make things into 'make believe' by simply refusing to pay attention. That's what I did. I'm not sure when it happens but at some point you realize that death means an 'ending' yet even then we still carry that 'infallible' feeling around with us. I suppose sometimes that's a good thing after all who wants to wake up each day thinking they are going to die right? When I think back to all the moments I wasted believing I'd always have another chance to do what I didn't get done today I realize how incredibly selfish that is. There has to be some balance, some way to be grateful for life without constantly worrying about it ceasing to exist but I'm not really sure how to achieve it.

I think about death now, since I've had children. I don't fret over the things I've yet to accomplish, I fret over the chance to see my kids accomplishments. I worry about who will raise them if I pass, who will teach my daughter how to love with all that's inside of her without losing all that's inside of her? Who will teach my son that loving a woman completely doesn't make you weak, it's makes you strong? Who will protect them from harm? Who will love them the way that I do? I have no answers and maybe that's why I think about death. It's not something that consumes me, but it's there right beside the mental list of groceries I need to pick up tomorrow at the market. I'm not really sure I want it to go away because somehow being a little afraid of death makes me a better person or at least it forces me to be a lot less selfish.

1 Comment:

  1. Lori said...
    Your writing is always so profound and I love coming here to read your words.

    I have worried about all these things also...and still do. There is no other love like a mother's, I believe. A father loves very deeply, as do grandparents, siblings, children. It is all there and has great depth. But a mother....there is a reason why God put us here.

    I read something once that said:
    "A mother is one who can take the place of all others, but whose place no other can take."
    I think that says so much. Even though I am 45 years old, I am terrified of losing my own mother. We were having a conversation the other day revolving around what I just wrote about. A mother's love just keeps getting stronger and I think that we know that if something were to happen to us, there is no one else who could possibly love our children the way that we do. That's something that is always in the back of our minds, but perhaps it's part of what allows us to appreciate and savor each moment.

Post a Comment