9/17/2007

Silence....

For so much of my life I've dreaded silence. I remember trying to fill up the moments in my life with noise so that the silence never trapped me in a world with no escape. Noise came in many forms, men who were never good enough to keep my company, drugs or alcohol that filled my head with so much garbage there was no chance of a quiet moment, and many many conversations with myself just because the sound of a voice - even if it was my own, was better than no sound at all.

This morning I came to work early, 7:00 a.m. to be exact, and as I sat down to turn on my computer I realized that something was different; I couldn't hear anything. It wasn't that I was deaf or that I wasn't listening, it was that I was surrounded by silence. For a moment I wasn't sure how I felt about that silence. To be honest, silence is something I rarely have a chance to experience so when it was there, staring me in the face, I sort of froze. I let it wrap around me and sink into my bones and you know what? It felt wonderful. I could hear my heart beat and even though I know I'm alive...I have forgotten to feel that thump in my chest to verify its existence.

It's amazing how many things you can hear when the world is silent. Maybe all this time that I've been filling up my moments with noise I should have been putting my ear plugs in.

3 Comments:

  1. Lori said...
    I love the quietness...I always have. Growing up in a family with six children, you'd think it would be complete chaos most of the time. But my mother always set aside "quiet time" each afternoon after lunch (sometimes followed by 'tea time') and we were taught early to have moments of stillness in our day when we could color or do something that wasn't filled with noise. There is so much that can be gleaned from the quiet of the day and it is then that I can find my strength.

    I've also always thought that it is usually the quiet man who says the most...
    kimmyk said...
    How is your father [step father]? I was going to ask you that before [down there vv, but I forgot]

    I love the silence. It does something for the soul.
    WDKY said...
    Now... if you can find that silence when everyone around you is making noise - that's a trick worth learning!

Post a Comment