9/01/2005

Can't look away...

I've spent my lunch hour watching video of the Katrina disaster; video showing desperate people trying to survive. My heart is literally aching right now. As I sit here and watch and listen to the coverage about how babies are dying because they are so dehydrated, tears stream down my face. As a mother, I know how far I'd go to protect my daughter. When you become a parent your main goal in life is to keep your children safe. Those people are powerless.

My head tells me to stop the video, turn off the television, stop listening to the radio; my heart won't let me. I can't look away, I can't pretend that anything in my small existence can be one tenth as important as the hell those people are living through.

Everything I thought I had to complain about...has vanished. It's like 9/11 all over again only this time the wrath was dealt by nature and not man. In the end, the result is the same.

I made a donation...not much of one since I can't afford a lot, but it was something. At least now I can live with myself a little easier. So I have to go without my gourmet cup of coffee for a week, I think I'll survive....lucky me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment